Monday, August 25, 2008

Conceding Defeat

Well, I hate to say this but I am conceding defeat here in India and I am coming home early. As much as I would have loved to have stayed for Stephen & Shuba's wedding (and the reason that I came over here) the thought of being here for another 2 weeks makes me want to cry. I have been nauseous since I arrived here and have now realized that it is a side effect of my malaria medication (which I am not prepared to stop taking - like I need malaria!) Another side effect is loss of appetite - which I have also had - which has lead to me not eating very much which leads to me feeling more sick. . .I am sure you can see the vicious cycle that I am in. It's not that I don't like India - b/c I have a found an area that I do, but I am not enjoying myself. Now I know that there are a bunch of you out there who are going to say - "tough it out - you can do it" - I am pretty sure I could, but I wouldn't be enjoying myself and would be miserable the entire time - so thus my decision.

So in other news, I finally experienced by first bout of gastric distress on Saturday. . . and I have figured out the cause. I have been drinking dairy, in the form of a very delicious vanilla milkshake in the mornings - I am supposed to take dairy with my malaria pills. Well Indian dairy is not sitting well with me. . .it is far to rich and is playing havoc on my tummy. So where was I when this distress hit you ask, in Panaji which is a small city in north Goa. Do you think I could find myself a "western-style" bathroom - oh no - yours truly got to "squat" over a pit while her guts gave out. Thankfully I travel with a lot of kleenex and my vat of Purell! Needless to say, that was not an experience that I want to repeat and have since laid off the dairy!

Well I should run. . . I am just making the final changes to my flight home. . .will try and blog somewhere along the way.

No comments: